Since 1995, the Canadian Payroll Association (CPA) has made this week the most significant public relations initiative for our profession. National Payroll Week (NPW) is now in its 19th year running from September 16-20, 2013. This event is taking place all over the country from St. John’s to Vancouver.
This is a great event as it recognizes the accomplishments of payroll professionals, the payroll community and the CPA. As payroll professionals this event is an opportunity to talk to other payroll professionals about our industry. This gives us an opportunity to gain other perspectives on current issues affecting payroll, as well as allowing us to enjoy some time away from our desks!
Payroll is critical in any organization with employees; it takes hard work and dedication to ensure that employees are getting paid accurately and on time while staying compliant with 190 regulatory requirements. This year’s keynote focus is Managing Your Payroll Career to Keep Canada Paid. The professional speakers will help us build on our communications skills so we can become more effective payroll practitioners for our valued clients.
Why does the CPA host this event every year? Because…
Canada’s 1.5 million employers count on payroll professionals to annually pay:
• $830 billion in wages and taxable benefits
• $260 billion in statutory remittances
• $90 billion in health and retirement benefits
• While complying with more than 190 federal and provincial regulatory requirements
• Payroll is mission-critical. Its size and scope impact business, government and employers across Canada from both a monetary and a business perspective.
• Payroll professionals are the key communications point for employees and management on salaries and benefits
Here at PEO we will be celebrating National Payroll week by attending a luncheon at the BMO Centre. We are very excited to have this opportunity to attend the event as it is a fantastic opportunity for us to network with other payroll professionals.
Kristine Williams, PCP / Team Lead, Payroll Services / PEO Canada