As an employer, it is your responsibility to ensure that you keep your employees safe, and make necessary adjustments to keep them comfortable. According to information from Workplace Safety & Prevention Services (WSPS), the following are 8 tips that can help keep your employees protected at all times;
- Plan for sick days – Ensure that you have a backup plan in place to cover daily responsibilities when an employee is taking a sick day. It is important to ensure your employees don’t feel obligated to come into work, and they’re encouraged to stay home.
- Check your HVAC system – Good indoor air quality is crucial for a healthy workplace. Regularly check your HVAC system to make sure it’s fully functioning. Schedule routine maintenance and ensure vents and ducts are free from obstructions.
- Maintain comfortable indoor temperatures – Keep your workplace at a temperature that is comfortable for everyone. Consider factors like air temperature, humidity, air movement and clothing to strike the right balance.
- Embrace Daylight – As daylight hours decrease, employees may find themselves commuting in the dark. Encourage your team to take short breaks and enjoy a lunchtime stroll while the sun is out. Exposure to daylight can boost mood and overall well-being.
- Adjust outdoor lighting – With days getting shorter, ensure the outdoor lighting in parking lots, sidewalks, and walkways turn on early enough to ensure visibility and safety.
- Talk to employees about the effects of time change – Recognize that the shift to darker mornings and standard time can affect sleep patterns. Encourage your employees to give themselves enough time so they aren’t rushing to work in the morning.
- Prepare for the first snowfall – Don’t wait for the first snowfall to prepare. Check shovels, stock up on salt, and arrange for snow removal services in advance to stay ahead of winter challenges.
- Managing Stress – Recognize that this time of year can bring more stress.
Prioritizing the safety and well-being of your employee’s is important. By implementing these 8 tips shared by WSPS, not only are you ensuring physical safety but also nurture a supportive work environment. By proactively following these steps, you can create a space that allows your team to thrive. Remember, a safe and comfortable workplace is the foundation for a motivated and productive workforce.